Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass ...
Its about learning to dance in the rain!!!
There are many things in life that will catch your eye
but only a few will catch your heart... Pursue those

This is my small effort to make you smile for a while...






Monday, September 19, 2011

A marriage in my family


Mom calls up when I was at work:
Amma: Helloooooooooooo (thankfully my colleague beside me did not answer her back)
Me: hmmm amma tell me, talk in low tone I can hear you.
Amma: Arrey  I cant hear you yaaaaaaaaaaaa (Not Again!!! Now I decided to walk out of my cubicle)
Me: ok I will come out of my cubicle  

Amma : ya ya you come out, I have to tell you something important!!!
 ( I thought one of these will be her important discussion as I walked out of my cubicle.
1.  It must be someone from her not so good friends who would have met her in some temple and would have done lot of attitude according to my Amma.
2. Or may be some girl has escaped from home in my native.
3. Or she wants to go out with her yoga class friends and I have to convince my Appa)

Me: Amma tell me now what is it.
Amma: You know what!!! Your cousin, she may be getting married!!!
Me: Amma what so big thing in that, she is of right age and she has to get married this year anyways.
Amma: No No she should have some responsibility, not like this !!!
Me:  oh what happened now!

Amma: Alla!!! Can’t she see you and learn something?  How can she do this??? Or at least see all of us we all her aunts and uncles none of us have done this and how can she even think of getting married like this?

Me: Amma pls be open minded. It’s ok; it’s her choice and interest.

Amma: How to believe that guy will be good? I am not ok with it! Arrey, why don’t you understand this! Her parents, me and your appa, Your both mavas and also you for that sakes  are not married like this and today see are you not happy?  Then why she has to do this!!!What example is she setting for her younger sisters???
Papa my sister I don’t know how she is handling this

Me: Amma pls don’t talk like this lets see, tell me what exactly is your doubt 

Amma: Ramya be serious this is somebody’s life! what is this matching horoscope it seems, Bride has to take coffee, serve with all grace to Guy's family and and then again family meeting it for a formal discussion! Everything is fixed in a month or two! what’s all this haan!!! Why of all the things she should be ok with Arranged marriage cant she fall in love with someone!!! 

Me: Amma you better talk to her, I have hell lot of work. And Please be informed arranged marriage is very good its ok! and the style what ever you have mentioned is very old now its changed!

Amma: Iyyo you are always in hurry and not serious at all, you should know none of us have experience in all these, not even your grandparents!!!

This is what happens in my family if someone dares to opt for Arranged Marriage!!!

29 comments:

Gautam said...

You are turning out to be another O'henry! Twist after twist ;)

Ramya said...

@Gautam: ;) Thanks

Yamini said...

Mast... Its a nice Start OF my day.... and good to see this mentality

Sujatha Sathya said...

oh my god!! this is about arranged marriage?!!!??? & your mother reacted like that for ---- arranged marriage????!!!?
i still cant believe it!!
even your grandparents didn't do IT ?? they too went for love marriage !! wow what a nice family but ....see this thing now---your cousin paapa is going in the traditional / sampradaya way & the response she gets
this is real comedy (for us) & tragedy (for her)
its too unique experience that i have ever heard or read anywhere

Ramya, one request: pls remove the word verification for comments

And can you check out the widget on my blog I Write Like .... & see who you write like. i am so curious to know it because like Gautam said, i too feel it may be O Henry

Ramya said...

@Yamini: Thanks Dear :D I am happy that I gave a nice start to your day, have a wonderful day :D

@Sujatha: Ha ha ha :D most of it is fictitious dear! but yes my cousins will be first arranged marriage :D

Will check out widgets and setting this weekend for sure :D
Thanks tons :D for commenting on every post of mine and encouraging me !

ಅಶ್ವಿನಿ/ Ashwini said...

Oh wow... Thats different. Something unusual. Such a wonderful family I say.

Sahana Rao said...

Ayyoo.. Fiction aa ?
I had my mouth wide open when I read through. :D
Madam, Nim story heLri.. With all these twists and turns. We would love to know through your writing.
On public demand anta ne heLi.. Pleasssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeee :)

Ramya said...

@Ashwini: He He He ... My family is sweet this way :D

@Spicy Sweet Friend: ;) Ofcourse helana!!! nanna story nange Twist and turn kotbitide sure will try to put it in words :D

Geetanjali Maithani said...

It’s awesome i loved the part “Aama” is worried how to take this arrange marriage …………….

wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts....

SuKupedia ™ :) :) said...

lol u know after reading i went back to find out if you were talking about luv marriage or arrange marriage.. nicely written :)

Prashanth said...

Okay.. now I have decided to meetup with your family at any cost. Coz, we have gotten married 'your family way' and it might be full of joy meeting like-married couple :D

Ranjana Bhat said...

ohoooo! I have been given all permission to fall in love it means.. but only problem is don't know how many people I have to get married if its love so... better arranged what say? Like always you rock Sis :) Awesome... First part Amma calling is so true... I dint tell her don't worry :)

Ramya said...

@Geethanjali: Thanks :D for giving this topic :D

@SuKupedia: he he he :D Thanks :D happy that I made you laugh

@Prashanth: Yes please you have to meet my family and also me :D

@Ranjana: heyaaaaa thanks for not telling amma ;) yeah for you arranged marraige is safer ;) to avoid clashes btw grooms

@All Thanks for your Comments and encouragement

Sujatha Sathya said...

hey Ramya i checked that for you. You write like CORY DOCTOROW - a British Canadian Blogger. he has written books like Little Brother & A Little Help

Ramya said...

@Sujatha: Wow Thanks tons :D
will read more about him and his work.

ಸಾಗರದಾಚೆಯ ಇಂಚರ said...

wonderfully written,

your style of narrating the points is simply superb

liked it

Ramya said...

@Sagara: Thanks a lot for your comments and constant encouragement :D

nagarathna rajarama said...

rammu eega sari gotatu nodu!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ramya said...

@chicks: Heyaaaaaaaa avthu arthane agalle hangare!!! ok ok its ok

Zeba said...

Buhahahahha. I LIKES your family. :-P And Gautam's comment too. O'henty!!

Ramya said...

@Zeba: :D thanks for all the likes and loves for my family

:D I love my family too ;)
Thanks for O'henry ;)

ಮನದಾಳದಿಂದ............ said...

ನೀವು ಬರೆದ ಈ ಘಟನೆಯನ್ನು ಓಡಿದ ಮೇಲೆ ನನ್ನನ್ನು ಕಾಡುತ್ತಿರುವ ಏಕೈಕ ಪ್ರಶ್ನೆ.................!

ಹೀಗೂ ಉಂಟೆ?

Nice writeen Ramya........
I like your family!

Ramya said...

@Manadaaladinda: :D Welcome to Chittrana :D

Yes Heegeee Untu :D
Thanks for your love and likes to my family :D

ಗಿರೀಶ್.ಎಸ್ said...

Hmmmm... Interesting.... written nicely..

Ramya said...

Girish: welcome to Chittrana
:D Thanks for your encouragement

šēţħũ said...

Amazing flow of thoughts...super baritira neevu...!!! ond reeti nan posts ge nim blog inspiration..!!! Looking forward for more...and also some tips :-)

Ramya said...

Sethu :D Thanks tons ri...
Inspiration navellaru obobrige I mean Mutual inspiration :D

Tip :D write what ever comes to ur mind :D care a damn for spellings and grammar yella! :D bekadu bariri who is :D Judging us anyways :D

šēţħũ said...

@Ramya - Tips ge Dhanyavaadagalu..!! will follow them going forward..!! Any constructive critisism/feedback on my posts would really make me happy...!!! Happy Weekend

Aarthi said...

: This post is really funny! Well written.