Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass ...
Its about learning to dance in the rain!!!
There are many things in life that will catch your eye
but only a few will catch your heart... Pursue those

This is my small effort to make you smile for a while...






Friday, June 1, 2012

3 great commandments

This post is related to health, forgive me I will not be able to tell any medical terms or will not be able to provide any medical reasoning. But will try to share little knowledge with you all in my own words. I truly hope the message reaches you all.

Taittiriya Upanishad’s Brughuvalli section speaks about 3 great commandments and that is not about any doing great virtues or sacrifices but trust me its all about RESPECTING FOOD.

Commandment 1: “annam na nindhyAth!” meaning  “Do not abuse Food!”
                While consuming food I have often observed people complaining about taste, color, consistency, Method of preparation, fragrance and so on the list has no ending. Seeing this I keep thinking is this the last time they are going to have food? Is this the last meal of their life, if so I would truly accept their desire for perfection in food else what is the matter with you all? Come on respect the Patience, Cost, Love and care that has gone in preparing it and be considerate for this one time and enjoy it, as this will not be your last time!

Trust me it is scientifically proven that food consumed with good mood and with lot of interest is very easily digested and the nutrition is well absorbed into the body. So please try appreciating the meal if not for all the care someone took to cook it at least for being alive to eat it!

Commandment 2 “annam na pari-chaksheeta!” meaning “Do not discard Food!”
                It just takes a second to throw the food but it takes year to grow a grain. As a kid I myself have hated when my parents used to force me to eat my meal fully and have thrown it in ignorance many a time. But after I have realized the value of it, even when I am paying for it I make sure I take only the quantity that I think I can consume. Please make sure you teach this to your kids. From their young age tell them the importance of having food 3-4 times a day so they know why they should not discard Food.

And we being grown ups, be it any place or occasion try not to waste food, try not to fill your plates like its feeding 10 mouths and then throw it giving it none.


Commandment 3 “annam bahu kurveeta!” meaning “Grow Food in abundance!”
Growing food, yes its not easy and when we know how difficult it is to grow we should really try to respect it and share it. But we often forget all these facts and ignore the abundant food we are having at this moment.  Please do think twice when you are throwing food there are many mouth waiting to be fed eagerly. So try and share the food.
I have realized anything given in abundance we surely wont respect it, be it love, money, care or food!

Having said all these, I want all my wise readers to please respect food for it’s the best gift god has given us. And also to teach your children to know the value of the food served with so much love and care.

This incident made me share this post... My Best friend has a little sister and she is now being treated continuously for ulcers in small intestine. And my best friend is updating me everyday about his sister and the amount of pain, suffering she is going through and how his family is boldly facing it. Even with my best try I will not be able to tell you all those things! But one thing he want all of us to know is to respect food, eat it on right time and right quantity stop cribbing about food. If not you may end up on a day when you will want to eat but your body will not let you do so…

23 comments:

Jenny said...

The incident which made you write is post is so sad. Prayers for the little girl and hope she gets well soon. It really is so true, that when you want to eat, you may never get the chance. So respect it when you have it. very insightful Ramya. i loved the concept and the seriousnes of the post. Well written!

ಅಶ್ವಿನಿ/ Ashwini said...

Food equates to life. - This is what I've been told by my parents. This post just says that with more details. Respect food and live more - as simple as that. Nicely written. Hope the little girl gets better asap.Prayers for her Ramya.

Prashanth said...

ಉತ್ತಮ ಜೀವನಮಾರ್ಗದೆಡೆಗೆ ನಮ್ಮನ್ನು ಕರೆದೊಯ್ಯುವಂತಹ ಈ ಬರವಣಿಗೆಯ ಹಿಂದಿರುವ ಪ್ರೇರಣೆ ಮಾತ್ರ ಆಘಾತ ಉಂಟುಮಾಡಿದೆ. ಬಳಲುತ್ತಿರುವ ಜೀವಕ್ಕೆ ಆರೋಗ್ಯ ಕರುಣಿಸುವಂತೆ ಪ್ರಾರ್ಥಿಸುತ್ತೇನೆ.

Anjuli said...

What a great post!!! These are simple but good commands. So sorry to hear of the discomfort and pain your friend's little sister is going through. You are absolutely correct that we should treat food with respect.

Ramya said...

@Jenny, Ashwini, Prashanth and Anjuli:
Thanks a lot for all your prayers will surely convey that. She is bold and responding well to treatment.
But the lesson learnt or re-learnt should not be forgotten also should be spread to people around us...

Gopinath said...

Tks for a thoughtful post. My wishes for a speedy recovery of your friends sister. Its true for everything if u disrespect anything a day will come when u will repent but cant do anything about it.

Santhoshkumar LM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Santhoshkumar LM said...

ಇದನ್ನೇ ಜೀವನದ ಪಾಠ ಅನ್ನೋದು.
ಪ್ರತಿ ಅನ್ನದಗುಳಿನ ಹಿಂದೆ ನೂರು ಜನರ ಪರಿಶ್ರಮವಿದೆ.
ಅದಕ್ಕೆ ನಮ್ಮ ಹಿರಿಯರು ಅನ್ನವನ್ನು ದೇವರಿಗೆ ಹೋಲಿಸೋದು.
ಗಂಭೀರವಾದ ವಿಷಯವನ್ನು ಮನಮುಟ್ಟುವಂತೆ ಬರೆದಿದ್ದೀರ.
ನಿಮ್ಮ ಅನುಭವದ ಲೇಖನಗಳ ಪಾಠ ಹೀಗೆಯೇ ಸಾಗಲಿ.
(ಜೊತೆಗೆ ಈ ರೀತಿಯ ಲೇಖನಗಳನ್ನು ಬಹಳ ಜನರಿಗೆ ಕೈಗೆಟಕುವಂತೆ ಮಾಡಿ. )

ಹಾಗೆಯೇ ನೊಂದ ಆ ನಿಮ್ಮ ಪುಟ್ಟ ತಂಗಿ ಬೇಗ ಗುಣಮುಖವಾಗಲಿ.

-ಸಂತು

Ramya said...

@Gopi: thanks for your insight. Yes I truly hope people learn to respect food someday!

@Santhu: Dhanyavaadagallu. Ade aase inda naanu e lekhana vannu illi baredidene. Dhayavittu nimge ishta bandavarodane idannu hanchikolli haagu e vishyavannu aadashtu yelrigu thilisi.

Thanks a lot for your prayers

Unknown said...

this is so true..and i am food lover..i eat slow and sometime people around me complain..but, i love food so much that i want to respect it and give ample amt of time to eat it. i am def thankful of food.

http://cactusandcucumber.blogspot.com/

Ramya said...

@Asta: Welcome to Chittrana,
Very happy to know your food habits they are really really good and that shows of in your fitness and fresh skin PS: I went through ur blog :D good one will follow it!

Thanks for dropping in!

KParthasarathi said...

These are all age old truths well narrated.Thanks

Zeba said...

I needed a reminder. Sigh.

Raj said...

This is such a wonderful post. So thoughtful and thought provoking. These are simple thoughts but yet are so powerful and we all should adhere to these. And beautifully written.

My wishes for your friend's sister. I pray she gets well soon.

Ramya said...

@KParthasarathi: Yeah all these are very old wish we keep refreshing these things as its true for every ages!!! Thanks

@Zeba: :( all of us need reminder!!!

@Raj: Thanks for your appreciation, yes we should respect food its very very important!!!

@all Thanks for your wishes and prayers.

Raj said...

ohh.. forgot to tell you.. really loved your introduction to your blog. Very sweetly written. :)

Ramya said...

@Raj: hahaha thanks this is the first comment I am receiving regarding my blog introduction :D I am super happy... thanks Raj,

Anonymous said...

Ramya....wish everyone reads this and understands the value of food. Ivathinda nimma fan listge naanu hosa addition...aadhre anonymousu :-)

Ramya said...

@ Anonymousu: :D Arrey!! idenidu hesru helade fan heltiri... anyways
Welcome to Chittrana :D

Yes everybody should respect food, it has great influence.

Keep encouraging... :D

Bikram said...

I love those threee commandments actualli anything to do with foood I like :)

it is sad so much is wasted there are people dieing of hunger and yet so much food is wasted.


My heart goes out for the little girl hope she is doing good ..
God bless
Bikram's

Ramya said...

@Bikramjit: yes you are very correct, there is a saying in kannada "OOTA BALAVANIGE ROGAVILLA" Which means person who knows eating well will not suffer from ill health.
Good keep respecting food.

Sujatha Sathya said...

deep, meaningful and lovely thoughts you shared with us Ramya .. simple and so imp

Ramya said...

@Sujatha :D wowwwwwwwwww you are back :D welcome welcome...
Thanks dear!